You’ve researched, you’ve consulted, you’ve scheduled your appointment. Your amazing results are on the way! Now it’s time to prepare. Many anti-aging procedures do come with some mild to moderate trauma to the treated area, which can certainly take a teeny bit of fun out of the process. Fortunately, informed preparation and follow-up care can reduce side effects and speed up the healing process significantly. Common side effects for most treatments include swelling, bruising, redness and tenderness. A little education and planning will have you enjoying your results in no time.
BEFORE your appointment:
- Many injectors will advise patients to stop taking the following medications and supplements one week prior to their procedure and continue abstaining from them for 3-5 days post treatment.
Ibuprofin or related NSAIDS
St. John’s Wart
Fish Oil/Omega-3 fatty acids
- Eat your way to speedier recovery. Consider increasing consumption of leafy greens such as spinach, kale and celery to boost Vitamin K and help reduce the possibility of bruising and swelling. Fresh pineapple (not canned or frozen) contains bromelain which can help minimize bruising.
- Arnica supplements have been shown to reduce discomfort, bruising and swelling. Start taking arnica a few days before treatment and continue until bruising is resolved. Arnica + K cream can also be applied to areas most affected by bruising (around the mouth and under the eyes) for several days before injection.
- Skip the salt. Injectable fillers are made from hyaluronic acid, which pulls in water, so salt can increase swelling. Cut back on it for 24 hours before your appointment.
- Avoid alcohol a few days before treatment. It acts as a blood thinner making you more susceptible to bleeding, bruising and swelling.
- Hydrate! This one is crucial. Drinking plenty of water can speed up the wound healing process. Without proper hydration, the tissue won’t receive the oxygen and nutrients it needs for healing. This disrupts cell function, slows down the healing process, and increases risks of infection or other complications.
So, you’ve prepped yourself for optimal healing. Appointment day! Now it’s your provider’s turn to take excellent care of you. Ask questions, communicate concerns, then relax and let the expert take over. Whew!
Once treatment is complete, you can further assist in the healing process and shorten recovery time.
AFTER your appointment:
- Within the first hour, apply ice to the treated area. Continue application as needed during the first 48 hours.
- Avoid strenuous activity for the first 24-48 hours as it may result in additional bruising/swelling.
- Apply topical Arnica. *Arnica is available for purchase at Amanda Rose Esthetics.
- Avoid touching the treated area for 3-4 hours following treatment.
- Avoid exposing the area to excessive heat. Saunas, spas and hot showers can raise the blood pressure, leading to additional bruising.
- Avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water to maintain hydration.
- Try not to miss a meal. Nutrition is vital to the healing process. Avoid high sodium, high sugar, refined carbohydrates and spicy foods. Fuel up on leafy greens, and protein.
Encourage healing from the inside out with the above recommendations (plus any additional instruction from your provider, specific to treatment) and you’ll be blissfully gazing upon your refreshed reflection in the mirror before you know it.